What separates good athletes from truly amazing athletes is typically how prepared they are on all levels body, mind and passion. Jen Heil, an Olympic gold medalist, described her pre-performance experience in a radio interview as, “Stay calm. Stay energized.” The Olympics are almost here and the world will witness more than amazing physical feats. We will witness the culmination of years of mental preparations trained into their physical skills. When body mind and passion are integrated with a present moment time frame, performance is at it's best. These skills are available to all athletes, at any level, and are most important for beginner and intermediate athletes because it is what allows athletes to advance to their next levels of development.
Do you know how to achieve your best sport performance? Do you know how to regulate your emotions? Do you get in your own way of success? Do you focus your mind to eliminate distractions and stay present in the moment to enable yourself to give your best and smartest effort in each moment?
Here are a dozen tips for enhancing your sport performance:
- Learn to focus your awareness without judgments
- Avoid comparisons to other athletes
- Eliminate perfectionism: learn from mistakes and grow from the experience
- We are creatures of habit, create solid pre-competition routines
- Reduce your risk for illness and injury learn to manage stress
- Set large goals for the season, and set small goals for each workout that help you achieve your larger goals
- Master the use of visualizations to enhance your performance
- Regulate your focus, eliminate distractions and perform well under pressure
- Be confident, strong and passionate
- Focus on doing your best, in each moment, avoid focusing on results, rankings and placement
- Train solid mental skills into your physical skills so you’ll be ready for competition. Compete like you train.
- Take care of the basics: sleep, healthy food, hydrate, stretch and good self care
Learn how to achieve these perform your best by understanding and increasing your motivation, confidence, intensity, focus and emotions. All level athletes need to develop positive thinking, mastering pressure, maintaining focus, mastering imagery and develop solid competition routines. Need help? True Form Coaching is here for you!